Sunday, June 7, 2015

Foundation Badge 1

Key Definitions/Main Ideas

Alvermann, Gillis, and Phelps (2012) give a nice overview of different kinds of assessments for students and text books. I particularly appreciated that they provide all of the pros and cons to each of the different kinds of assessments. I think when many of us think of “assessments” we automatically think of tests, quizzes, or even rubrics for assignments. And while these are all addressed, Alvermann, Gillis, and Phelps (2012) caution readers that  assessments can be like photograph- some show more flattering angles than others.  Additionally, they expose a lot of biases that assessments can have and explain why some of these biases may be unfair to minority students.  In their chapter, the reader is reminded that the purpose of assessing students is to gain greater insights into their lives and the way they think. By learning from assessments, teachers can better shape their curriculum to meet the needs of their students and push them to the next level. I particularly liked the example used in the chapter which showed an assessment given to a students after they read a passage on magnets (pictured below), because it doesn’t ask “on the surface” questions, but rather challenges the students to connect their new knowledge of magnets with what they previously understood, to make their own inferences, and to define vocabulary in their own words. To me, these five questions are how we should be assessing students, rather than providing them 5 questions directly from the text. 


(Alvermann, Gillis, Phelps, 2012, p. 142)

On a similar, but different note, Schwartz and Arena (2013) discuss the potential technology has for creating choice-based assessments in the classroom. They discuss how well designed video games allow students to make choices about who their character is, what their character’s goals are, and how their character goes about achieving these goals throughout the game. These choices help eliminate some of the biases mentioned above, provide a richer experience for the student, and provide a unique insight into the preferences and thought processes of students. Additionally, cognitive tutor programs allow for students to be learning and getting assessed at the same time, which can streamline the assessment process, avoiding a lot of unnecessary stress and wasted time by both teachers and students alike. By using some of these “nonlinear” systems in the classroom, students are given the freedom to explore and provided choices their learning (Schwartz & Arena, 2013). 

Connections

I have to admit, I struggled to find personal connections to these texts. As a teacher of preschoolers, I was required to complete three formal assessments for each student throughout the year, though I tried to create my own informal assessments throughout the curriculum. But for the most part, I felt as though my student’s work showed their progress better than any set of questions I could have created. However, having worked in classrooms that were older, I recognize the need for multiple different kinds of assessments and the need for these assessments to provide multiple “snapshots” of a student.  The second article reminded me of a youtube video I had watched before from James Gee, listed below, which discusses the need for education to shift in a direction in which students teach themselves through games. While I find this theoretically to make a lot of sense, my experiences with technology in the classroom, and in researching the use of technology in the classroom are mixed. I have seen some uses where I found it be very effective, yet I have also seen situations in which I felt like technology was used as a babysitter or a time filler.

(Gee, 2011).

Applications to Classroom Assessment

Although I did not describe this above, I really liked how the Alvermann, Gillis, and Phelps (2012) article discussed in detail how to help students create a portfolio as a form of assessment. In my own classroom, the portfolios I had on students usually included pieces of work that I thought showed their progress, but I never included them in the process. In the future, I think I will incorporate the portfolio as a part of the curriculum and involve students in the process, rather than put it together after school by myself. Explaining to students the purpose of a portfolio, showing them examples of professionals who use portfolios for their jobs, and demonstrating how to put a portfolio together would be a useful skill for students, and would allow students to really take ownership of their work. I imagine that they would be more motivated to complete assignments well if they knew they might go in their portfolio, and I think providing students the option to choose which of their work samples show who they are as a learner allows for some deep contemplation and discussion.
I would also like to incorporate more of the resources Schwartz and Arena (2013) discussed in their article, such as the Choicelets (p. 17) which are short and engaging games for students that incorporates learning and assessment together, but I wish I had a better grasp of what these games are called, how expensive they are, and how they can be incorporated effectively in the classroom. I am hoping that through this class and my own research/observations that I will be able to see the potential for these in my classroom even more. 

References

Alvermann, D., Gillis, V., & Phelps, S. (2012). Content area reading and literacy: Succeeding in today’s diverse classroom (7th ed). Boston: Pearson.


Gee, J. P. [DMLResearchHub]. (2011, August 4). Games and Education Scholar James Paul Gee on Video Games, Learning, and Literacy. [Video File]. Retrieved from: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LNfPdaKYOPI

Schwartz, D. & Arena, D. (2013). Measuring what matters the most: Choice-based assessments for the digital age. Cambridge, MA: MIT Press. Retrieved from: http://mitpress.mit.edu/books/measuring-what-matters-most/

2 comments:

  1. I was, also, intrigued by the Choicelets mentioned in the readings by Schwartz and Arena, but wasn’t exactly sure how to incorporate them into the Language Arts classroom. I guess what I took away from the article was that I now want to incorporate more choice into my assessments. I think creating games is one way to do this but I, also, think there may be other ways to incorporate more choice as well so learning becomes play rather than work. One way may be to create a scavenger hunt of some sort, so students are searching for information, examining their options, and possibly collaborating with their peers in order to accomplish the required task.

    I, also, enjoyed the video you supplied by James Gee. I think we learn by doing rather than absorbing information that is given. These simulations can help students learn in a more authentic way and I think these simulations can occur in multiple forms. Technology can be tricky but I think if it we use it in a purposeful and authentic way it can provide multiple opportunities for learning and for expanding communication in the classroom. It’s all about finding ways to make it work with your students in your own way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Courtney,
    I appreciate that you wrote about the Alvermann, Gillis and Phelps’ (2012) piece of work because I did not select their article to read; however, you did a great job of explaining the main/ critical points in your post. I connected a lot when you stated, that many of us think of assessments as tests, quizzes, or even rubric assignments, but Alvermann, Gillis and Phelps (2012) explained that assessments do not always have to look like the items above, but rather, an assessment can be a photograph. Also, as Schwartz and Arena (2013) explained, video games can be a form of assessment, giving the students freedom to explore and take ownership of their learning. This “new to me” concept has been eye-opening because I have never thought about assessment in this new light. Thank you for posting James Gee’s video. I watched this video in another graduate course and I enjoy hearing Gee’s thoughts on technology and how he connects it to assessments, which I had not paid attention to that part before this class. He thinks that in schools, some of the games can judge and assess learning within the actual game. Because I do not play video games, I have a hard time wrapping my brain around this concept, but I do see the relevance, especially in today’s society. Great post and thanks for sharing your hard work!

    ReplyDelete