For my first elective badge, I chose to focus on the Assessment of Elementary Literacy. Javorsky and Trainin (2014) did a randomized search of iPad e-readers that were free on iTunes to take a closer look at which kinds of skills are needed to manipulate the books. One of the main findings was that each book is different, and that young children need to be very “tech-savvy” to be able to maneuver around within these apps. For example, some e-books have buttons which allow you to turn the page, some have pictures of multiple pages that you elect to turn the page, while others have you swipe across the book with your finger. Similar discrepancies are found in home pages, extra games, hot spots, narration, and even icons! One of the benefits of having digital stories are that children can listen, read, or manipulate them on their own, without the help of an adult. However, for young children who cannot read, how do they figure out how to turn on the narration, or find a corresponding hotspot? Additionally, technology is constantly being updated, icons are made to look newer, and features are being added as the e-readers evolve.
So how do we teach children how to use these devices when each one is so different from the next? Javorsky and Trainin (2014) propose that we teach students how to be flexible and to expect changes in technology, rather than get frustrated by them. By creating a classroom with multiple different kinds of technologies, modeling how to maneuver around specific apps, and discussing the fact that technology is constantly evolving, children can become more fluent and more purposeful digital readers (Javorsky & Training, 2014).
In the same way that we must teach students to be flexible and open when using technology, teachers must become open and flexible to using technology themselves! One way this can easily be achieved is by using the Running Record App developed by Clemson University found here: Running Record App. This app allows for teachers to code their own running records, but also records the voice of the child reading out loud so that you can go back and listen to any parts you may have missed the first time. Although I have not been able to use the app myself yet, I could certainly see how this would help me keep track of all of the running records I take of my students, and how useful it would be to have the corresponding recordings saved! Meeuwse (2013) wrote very highly of the app as well. I particularly like how after the running record you could let the child hear parts they struggled with, or did well on, during a reading conference. This seems like a great tool to use!
Although I have never used a lot of technology with my students, I think allowing students the opportunity to engage with technology and to manipulate apps, e-readers, and games on multiple devices makes a lot of sense. One of the resources Javorsky and Trainin (2014) recommend is a YouTube channel called TechEdge which discusses how to use iPads in the classroom. I found the video below helpful not only for parents, but also for teachers.
Application to classroom:
- Provide students devices to use e-readers on such as: iPads, iPhones, SmartBoards, computers, Kindle, other tablets
- Provide parents with ideas for good apps/resources to use at home
- Explain to parents how to model/teach their children how to use the digital device, e-reader, apps, etc. they have access to at home
- Model using iPads for reading, researching, and accomplishing important tasks in the classroom
- Use iPads for assessment using the Running Record app, taking pictures of student work, video taping presentations, etc.
- Upload these assessments to digital portfolios
References
Javorsky, K., & Trainin, G. (2014). Teaching young readers to navigate a digital story when rules keep changing. The Reading Teacher, 67(8), 606–618.
Meeuwse, K. (2013, April 15). Running records on the iPad. Retrieved from: http://iteachwithipads.net/2013/04/15/running-records-on-the-ipad/
Tech EDGE (2012, August 12). iPads for Parents - Pilot Episode, Apps You Can Use With Your Kids. [Video file]. Retrieved from: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s5bRWOkHkFo
I never really thought about how quickly apps are updating and changing their appearances as well as their capabilities. Now that I have a son, I think more and more about how technology will change in his own lifetime. It makes sense that we teach students to be flexible learners, willing to adapt from device to device. It’s not necessarily that they need to know how to work every technology out there but they do need to be able to navigate the digital world. We have to teach them to be continuous learners!
ReplyDeleteAlso, I love voice recorder apps for the classroom! I had my students record themselves while reading their writing and I think it really helped with the revision process!